Apple along with the iPhone XS series, also introduced the iPhone XR, a cheaper version with a 6.1-inch LCD 326ppi Liquid Retina display, which it calls the best LCD display ever made. It has powered by the same 7nm Apple A12 Bionic chip, first in the industry. The chip 8-core dedicated machine learning engine with 4-core GPU and 6-core CPU with two high performance cores promises 15% fast performance and 40% lower power, and 4 power efficiency cores will offer up to 50% lower power compared to last year’s A11 Bionic. It has 6.9 billion transistors, capable of performing whopping 5 trillion operations per second, compare to 600 billion in A11 Bionic.
However unlike iPhone XS series, this new iPhone XR comes only with the single rear camera with f/1.8 aperture, loses the secondary 12-megapixel telephoto lens but it can also take portrait mode photos using software processing. It has an Aluminum and Glass Design, comes with Face ID and is splash- and water-resistant, with IP67 ratings compare to IP68 ratings on new iPhone XS series. Apple also introduced something called Smart HDR that uses the A12 Bionic chip to make zero shutter lag, 4-frame buffer, and capturing interframes. Both of them has four microphones and can capable of recording 4K videos at 24 fps, 30 fps, or 60 fps.
Their is a 7-megapixel front facing camera with f/2.2 aperture, and the IR camera has been improved with global shutter and has improved Dot projector says the company. It has LTE Advanced, Dual SIM support (via eSIM), similar to the XS series and has wireless charging as well, thanks to the glass back.
Apple iPhone XR specifications
- 6.1-inch (1792 x 828 pixels) LCD 326ppi Liquid Retina display, 3D Touch
- Six-core A12 Bionic 64-bit 7nm processor with four-core GPU, M12 motion co-processor
- 64GB, 128GB,256GB storage options
- iOS 12
- Water and dust resistant (IP67)
- Dual SIM (nano + eSIM / physical SIM in China)
- 12MP wide-angle (f/1.8) camera,optical image stabilization, True Tone flash, 4K video recording at 60 fps, Slo‑mo 1080p at 240 fps
- 7MP front camera with f/2.2 aperture, 1080p video recording,Retina Flash
- TrueDepth camera for FaceID facial recognition, Stereo speakers
- Dimensions: 150.9×75.7×8.3; Weight: 194 grams
- 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 ac with MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC with reader mode, GPS with GLONASS
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery with Qi wireless charging, fast charging, up to 15 hours of internet use
The Apple iPhone XR comes in white, black, blue, yellow, coral and (PRODUCT) RED colors starting at $749 (Rs. 53,860 approx.) in the U.S. and is available for order starting from October 19th. It will go on sale in India along with over 50 countries from October 26 at Rs. 76,900 (MRP) through Apple Authorised Resellers.